NSW LGBTQI Network
The Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex (LGBTQI) Network is one of Amnesty International s special interest networks. Network members are volunteers and meet monthly to discuss current cases of human rights abuses
Our core message is that people can join Amnesty International to campaign against human rights abuse and demand dignity for everyone everywhere irrespective of their sexual orientation or gender identity. All around the world people can be persecuted because of their sexual orientation or gender identity, and in 75 countries people can be prosecuted and in 8 countries executed.
The NSW LGBTQI Network members are volunteers and meet monthly to discuss current cases of human rights abuses based on sexual orientation or gender identity. Cases are often drawn from action alerts issued by international NGOs such as the International Lesbian and Gay Association, Human Rights Watch, as well as cases raised by Amnesty International. The Network drafts and sends letters of appeal to relevant government members and bodies.
We are always looking for new members to be involved in social media, events, letter writing, networking, campaigning and any other area you are interested in to shine a light on issues affecting the LGBTQI community around the world.
Our network organises around these main events:
February – Mardi Gras
May – IDAHO (International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia)
September – World Peace Day
December – World AIDS Day
When We Meet
We usually meet on the first Wednesday of every month at the NSW Action Centre at Level 1, 79 Myrtle St, Chippendale. Please email [email protected] to confirm before the meeting and come along to meet with like-minded people and discuss current campaigns, events and cases of human rights abuses.
- Robin Millar [email protected]
- 1300 300 920
- Wanted: Event Organiser and Social Media Officer for LGBTQI Network (04/07/2016)
- Amnesty at Mardis Gras and Fair Day 2013 (30/07/2013)
- Mardi Gras superheroes (05/03/2013)
- Amnesty International Marches for LGBTQI Rights at Mardi Gras (22/02/2011)
- Queer Symposium Provides Much Food for Thought (24/09/2010)
- Make LGBTQI Abuse History - Amnesty International at Mardi Gras 2010 (14/03/2010)
- 200 Amnesty activists march for global same-sex rights (13/03/2009)
- Mardi Gras Fair Day 2009 (20/02/2009)
- LGBTQ case success story - Lambda Istanbul (21/01/2009)
- Defending Love - LGBTQ Video (14/01/2008)
- Amnesty Goes Orange at Mardi Gras 2007 (31/05/2007)
The NSW Action Centre
Amnesty International Australia NSW Branch
Phone: Work+612 (02) 8396 7670
Fax+612: (02) 8396 7677
Email: [email protected]
DVD library catalogue and order form (PDF 525KB)