March 8 marks International Women’s Day 2021, a day to celebrate the incredible women in our lives and the sacrifices they have made, and continue to make, to call out gender bias and inequity.
This years’ theme is #ChooseToChallenge, and “Brazen Hussies” is a documentary that does exactly that. Brazen Hussies celebrates the bold women of the Women’s Liberation Movement who reignited Australia’s feminist revolution. Brazen Hussies shows us how a daring and diverse group of women joined forces to defy the status quo, demand equality and create profound social change – contributing to one of the greatest social movements of the 20th Century.
Amnesty International Australia has partnered with Brazen Hussies, who are allowing Amnesty activists to host advanced screenings of this incredible film to commemorate International Womens’ Day 2021, and to raise awareness for the case of Nassima al-Sadah.
Would you like to host a Brazen Hussies film screening this IWD? Here’s how:
Check out our Events & Tactics modules
If you haven’t already, have a read through our Skill Up modules on Planning and Coordination of Events and Tactics. These modules will help you to plan and carry out a successful, strategic event.
Where will you host your screening?
Think about a venue within your community which is appropriate to host a film screening. Maybe your local library, hall or community centre, or Amnesty International Action Centre if there’s one nearby.
Complete this host an event form
Let us know the details of your event so we can promote it on this map and make sure you’ve got all of the resources you need.
Promote your screening
– Share on social media- if you need some promotional support, you can contact the Activist Communications Team by completing this brief
– Email your friends and family- or we can even send an email to supporters in your area! Just let the Activist Communications team know.
– Put up posters or flyers in your community
On the day
– Chat about the Nassima case– or maybe organise a local guest speaker who might like to speak about the case.
– Have attendees take action for the case
– Take photos! Print some of these signs – or create your own – to make your photos pop
– Send everything to firstname.lastname@example.org
It’s that simple! The Brazen Hussies film screenings will be a fun and informative way to come together and celebrate women this International Women’s Day.
If you are interested in hosting a screening and have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact email@example.com.
Frequently Ask Questions:
– Are there graphics / social media materials we can use to promote our screening?
Yes, you can access images, videos and graphics here. You can post in the National Activist Facebook group, or on your group / regional social media page if you have one. If you’d like additional promotions support, you can also make a request with our Activist Communications team. Our national Story & Content team will be promoting the screenings on our national social media account also.
– What format will the film come in?
The film will be sent to you via a vimeo link, that you’ll be able to project and stream.
– Can we host our screening in a cinema?
Yes, you can. This takes a little bit more coordination, so once you’ve chatted to the cinema and confirmed, let us know so that we can ensure the film gets there on time. This could also come at an additional cost (like venue hire)- which shouldn’t be a problem, but be sure to include that in your budget.
– Does our screening need to be on March 8?
No it doesn’t! Any time in that week, or the subsequent weeks is fine too.