Thank you for defending human rights!
Thank you for continuing your support as a Human Rights Defender. Your commitment to our global human rights movement makes successes like these possible – so thanks!
Here are just a few of the most recent wins that we have achieved together:
- In January 2022, Iranian human rights defender Atena Daemi was released after five years imprisonment under trumped-up charges for her courageous advocacy to end the death penalty.
- In March 2022, the Australian government accepted New Zealand’s long-standing offer of resettling refugees trapped in Australia’s cruel offshore detention regime.
- In April 2022, Papua New Guinea became the latest country to abandon the death penalty, 30 years after its reintroduction in 1991.
- In July 2022, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution recognising “a clean, healthy and sustainable environment” as a universal human right.
- In September 2022, the ACT became the first jurisdiction in Australia to commit to work to raise the age of criminal responsibility from 10 to 14.
- In October 2022, the Albanese government committed to its Federal election promise to fund justice reinvestment and First Nations-led diversion programs and help keep kids out of the criminal legal system.
- In December 2022, the Western Australian government confirmed that it will move to ban conversion practices, which 10% of LGBTQA+ Australians are at risk of across the country.
It just shows, when we come together, we are powerful! You can find out more about Amnesty’s latest campaigns and new actions that you can take here.