The world we want to see
We live in a challenging time for human rights. Every year, hundreds of thousands of people are killed during conflicts and crises, while millions more are left needing protection and support.
Around the world, countries are responding to this uncertainty by cracking down on human rights – often in the name of protecting public order or ending terrorism.
This is why we get out of bed in the morning, go to countless rallies, have tough conversations and write hundreds of letters – because we believe that together, by challenging injustice when we see it, we can create a world where our most basic human rights are enjoyed by all.
The world we can create
Our 2020 Vision
We have a clear vision for 2020. Together we will protect and defend more lives; be an unstoppable movement; and inspire outstanding passion and commitment.
To protect and defend more lives, we will campaign tirelessly until we:
- End the over-representation of Indigenous young people in detention within a generation.
- Ensure refugees and asylum seekers fleeing conflict, crisis, torture or persecution across the globe are able to lead safe and stable lives.
- Defend and protect the human rights of individuals at risk.
- Ensure that civilians are protected during conflict and crisis.
People power is how we work and how we win. We will build our movement’s diversity and support outstanding change-makers, so that by 2020 we will:
- Be an even larger and powerful mass movement of people.
- Be a diverse movement of people, welcoming all who support our vision and values.
- Have the leadership necessary to realise our vision at a national, regional and local level.
Amnesty International Australia’s 2020 Vision belongs to everyone who helped conceive it, and everyone who will help make it a reality: our activists, members, donors, partners, staff and our hundreds of thousands of supporters across Australia.
But most of all this is a vision for the people affected by human rights violations.
Thank you for your efforts in defending human rights.
How we protect human rights
Human rights are the basic freedoms and protections that belong to every single one of us – but are violated every single day. We search out the facts, expose what’s happening and mobilise people to put pressure on governments and others to stop these violations.