Despite improvements in the lives of women and girls as a result of the international women’s rights movement, many continue to experience discrimination and violence as part of their everyday lives.Read more
Women's rights in depth
Everything you need to know
Around the world women and girls are prevented from making decisions about their lives and bodies. Many are subjected to violence in countries that include Australia, as well as other abuses of their human rights, including being:
- forced into child marriage
- denied sexual and reproductive rights
- trafficked into forced labour and sex slavery
- denied access to education and political participation
- denied equal rights with men, including a lack of equal participation and workplace protection
- subjected to discriminatory laws relating to marriage and divorce.
Amnesty International campaigns to ensure that women and girls are able to live with dignity and equality, free from discrimination and violence and are empowered to make decisions about their own bodies and lives.Close
Our work on the rights of women and girls
Our work on the rights of women and girls spans the globe.Read More
What is Amnesty doing?
In Australia, our activists campaigns for the protection of the rights of women around the world, with a particular focus on Australia and the Asia-Pacific region.
Globally, we campaign for women’s reproductive rights and for an end to discrimination and violence against women. We advocate for women and girls to have access to education and equal rights and protections in paid work.Close
What needs to happen?
Women’s rights are human rights.Read more
We need your support.
Women and girls are entitled to all of the rights enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, including the right to live free from discrimination, slavery and violence. Yet, some women and girls are still denied these basic rights, simply because of their gender.
We need your support to:
- stop governments using criminal law to control women’s reproductive rights
- empower women to make their own decisions about their bodies and live their lives without interference from others
- ensure governments make sexual and reproductive health services, education and information available and easy to access
- pressure governments to prohibit all forms of violence against women.
Find out how you can protect the lives of women and girls todayDonate now