Amnesty International Australia is an organisation founded on volunteers. Without these passionate, dedicated individuals, we would be unable to achieve human rights impact across Australia and around the globe. We would cease to exist.
And you too can help us make a big impact. Whether you have a spare day a week or one day a year, you can defend human rights. Volunteer work is available Australia-wide in many areas:
- coordinating events and planning campaign work
- campaigning in the community
- participating in activist consultations
- general office administration
- Regional Media Support Volunteer: Assist and support the Regional Media team with research and activist outreach.
- ACT Activism Team Member: join a group of volunteers who are happy to be contacted to support Amnesty at different times over the year to volunteer at events, stalls or in the office.
South Australia/Northern Territory
- Community Organising Volunteer: work closely with the SA/NT Community Organiser (CO) on Amnesty International’s priority campaigns and assist with the growth of Action Groups.
- Training and Development Volunteer: work with the CO to develop, build and run training sessions for activists in SA/NT
- Schools Network Team Leader: lead the team of volunteers working with schools in Adelaide and beyond to encourage action around Amnesty International’s human rights work.
- Schools Network Outreach Team Member: work with schools in Adelaide and beyond to encourage action by facilitating human rights education workshops with students.
- Activism Support Volunteer: work with the Activism Support Coordinator to manage Amnesty International SA/NT’s regional administration, action group support and activist pathways.
- Social Media + Graphic Design Volunteer: work with activists to develop original social media and print content for the SA/NT
- Urgent Actions Volunteer: manage network of online and offline (postal) Urgent Action letter writers and distribute weekly information sheets to network
See linked role descriptions for details of how to apply and closing dates for applications.
New South Wales
- Hands-On Help Team Leader: Manage the volunteer database and support the volunteer groups with the information. You will supervise the Hands-on Help Team coordinator and the wider Hands-On Help Team. For more information please click on the hyperlink above.
- Hands-On Help Team Coordinator: Your task will be to coordinate and schedule team members volunteering in the office and at external events. This task includes compiling a weekly volunteer newsletter, and assisting the Hands-On Help Team Leader in the mobilisation, retention and development of Hands-On Help volunteers at the NSW Action Centre.
- Prospect Researcher and Fundraising Internship: You will support the Philanthropy Managers to help deliver Amnesty International’s major gift fundraising program.
- Office Volunteer (Growth & Education Team) x2: Helps to promote, host and follow up on NSW Get Active & Activism After Hours events.
- Hands-on Help Team Volunteer: Key responsibilities include hands-on help with things such as, but not limited to, data entry, phone calling program, event support, crafting art materials for our events, photography at our events, etc. There is no ongoing commitment required. Any time that you can spend helping in the office or at events is greatly appreciated.
- Social Media (Facebook) Coordinator: The Amnesty Refugee Network is looking for someone experienced in Facebook, who is politically savvy and a good team player to work with the other social media coordinators and our partners in generating and sharing content and amplifying key messages.
- Schools Network Outreach Team Member: As part of the Schools Network Outreach Team you will work with schools across Perth to inform, inspire and empower action by facilitating human rights education workshops with students.
- Training and Development Officer: Are you interested in developing powerful, effective trainings for WA activists? We’re looking for a flexible office volunteer with a passion for activism, movement building and working with activists. The role will involve developing, building and running training sessions for activists in the Western Australian region.
- Amnesty Student Representative: Are you a high school student with a passion for human rights? Apply today to represent your school in Amnesty WA’s Student Leadership Team! Up to 2 students per school! Found out more here and fill in this application form!
Please contact your local action centre for opportunities in other regions.
Register your interest
To register your interest to become a volunteer or activist with Amnesty International Australia, fill in the volunteer form.