Amnesty International Australia is an organisation founded on volunteers. Without these passionate, dedicated individuals, we would be unable to achieve human rights impact across Australia and around the globe. We would cease to exist.
And you too can help us make a big impact. Whether you have a spare day a week or one day a year, you can defend human rights. Volunteer work is available Australia-wide in many areas:
- coordinating events and planning campaign work
- campaigning in the community
- participating in activist consultations
- general office administration
- Regional Media Support Volunteer: Assist and support the Regional Media team with research and activist outreach.
- ACT Activism Team Member: join a group of volunteers who are happy to be contacted to support Amnesty at different times over the year to volunteer at events, stalls or in the office.
- Schools Network Volunteer: Passionate about inspiring young people to defend human rights? Join our Schools Network team today!
- Volunteer Writer: Put your pen to paper for a good cause with AM-UNITY magazine.
- AM-UNITY Website Coordinator: Are you a tech genius or looking to improve your skills? AM-UNITY magazine wants to hear from you!
- Social Media Coordinator: Fabulous at Facebook, terrific on Twitter and inspired on Instagram? Join the AM-UNITY magazine team as a social media guru.
- Artist: Get creative with AM-UNITY!
South Australia/Northern Territory
- Hands on Help Team: if you are flexible in your availability or can’t commit to regular volunteer and so would like to help out whenever possible, this is the team for you!
- Community Organising Volunteer: build and support a new Amnesty Action group in the Federal Electorate of Sturt
- Queer Action Group Role – Event Coordinator: coordinate and hold human rights themed events
- Queer Action Group Role – Social Media and Graphic Design Volunteer
See linked role descriptions for details of how to apply.
Our Action Groups are always looking for new members too – get in touch with your local group here!
New South Wales
- Hands-on-Help Team Volunteer – Interested in volunteering for a few hours each week or an hour every second month?
- NSW Volunteer Photographer – want to capture the amazing work Amnesty NSW activists do? This job is for you!
- NSW Twitter Coordinator – want social media experience? Join the Amnesty NSW team as our Twitter coordinator!
- Government Relations Research Assistant: The Advocacy & External Affairs Team in Sydney is looking for volunteers to contribute by helping with policy advice and research, event coordination and logistics, database and document management.
- Activism Support Volunteer: Work with the WA Activism Support Co-ordinator on office management, administration, activist support and recruitment.
- Media and Communications Volunteer: Work with the WA volunteer communications team to promote our human rights work across online and offline media channels
- Graphic Design Volunteer: Work with the WA volunteer communications team to design and create content for online and offline use
- Schools Network Outreach Team Member: As part of the Schools Network Outreach Team you will work with schools across Perth to inform, inspire and empower action by facilitating human rights education workshops with students.
- Amnesty Student Representative: Are you a high school student with a passion for human rights? Apply today to represent your school in Amnesty WA’s Student Leadership Team! Up to 2 students per school! Found out more here and fill in this application form!
Please contact your local action centre for opportunities in other regions.
Register your interest
To register your interest to become a volunteer or activist with Amnesty International Australia, fill in the volunteer form.