Amnesty International Australia is an organisation founded on volunteers. Without these passionate, dedicated individuals, we would be unable to achieve human rights impact across Australia and around the globe. We would cease to exist.
And you too can help us make a big impact. Whether you have a spare day a week or one day a year, you can defend human rights. Volunteer work is available Australia-wide in many areas:
- coordinating events and planning campaign work
- campaigning in the community
- participating in activist consultations
- general office administration
ACT/SNSW (Canberra Action Centre)
- Event Support Volunteer: help plan, organise, recruit for, and support activist groups in the running of a number of important events in our region over the year.
- Rural and Regional Activism Support Volunteer: Support rural and regional groups by providing campaign material/information, and social media support
South Australia/Northern Territory
- Community Organising Volunteer: works closely with the SA/NT Community Organiser on priority campaigns and growth of Action Groups.
- Activism Support Volunteer: key Action Centre based role with a focus on managing the reception desk, supporting Action Groups and processing petitions
- Meaningful Movies Coordinator: run monthly human rights themed movie nights in partnership with Action Groups and other community groups
- Social Media Volunteer: coordination of Regional Facebook page activity and reporting
- Urgent Actions Volunteer: coordination and distribution of Urgent Actions information via email and postal networks
- Photography Volunteer: flexible role working with a small team of photographers to capture high quality imagery of events for use on social media, website and in print media.
Queensland / Northern New South Wales
New South Wales
- NSW Meaningful Movies – Event Producer: Key responsibilities will include researching venues, guest speakers and catering for events, facilitate discussions as required and participate in and evaluate the film screening.
- NSW Meaningful Movies – Junior Creative Officer: Key responsibilities will include undertaking research on films and liaise with film distributors and research current Amnesty International campaigns and use relevant petitions and actions at screenings.
- NSW Meaningful Movies – Public Relations and Marketing Officer: Key responsibilities will include the promotion and marketing of the group and its events and liaise with other actions groups, community organisations and industry partners to identify cross promotional opportunities.
- NSW Meaningful Movies – Social Media and Community Engagement Officer: Key responsibilities will include promotion of events on social media, devising online marketing strategy and manage publicity and marketing of film nights.
- Hands-on Help Team Volunteer – Key responsibilities include hands-on help with things such as, but not limited to, data entry, phone calling program, event support, crafting art materials for our events, photography at our events, etc. There is no ongoing commitment required. Any time that you can spend helping in the office or at events is greatly appreciated.
- Social and Education Project Coordinator – Key responsibilities include recruit and coordinate a team of volunteers to organize and run bimonthly Get Active and Activism After Hours events at the NSW Action Centre, help to run the next Get Active events and Activism After Hours events during and after the recruitment process, ensure that we start holding monthly Get Active sessions within 6 months, develop and sustain a good relationship with Amnesty’s Meaningful Movies Network and other Amnesty groups that provide relevant early level engagement opportunities for new volunteers / activists.
- Activism Support Volunteer: We are looking for a passionate and proactive person to join our action centre team. Key responsiblities include assisting our local activists in their campaigning, data entry and administrative support. – Applications due: COB 18th May 2017.
- Volunteer Fundraising Coordinator: Coordinate a fundraising strategy and organise fundraising events. – Applications due: COB 19th May 2017.
- Indigenous Rights Volunteer: Support the Indigenous Rights Manager’s work on relevant human rights issues, including Aboriginal deaths in custody. – Applications due: COB 18th May 2017
- Leadership Development Specialist (Volunteer): Develop, build and run training sessions for activists in the Western Australian region. – Applications due: COB 25th May 2017
Please contact your local action centre for opportunities in other regions.
Register your interest
To register your interest to become a volunteer or activist with Amnesty International Australia, fill in the volunteer form.