Amnesty International Australia is an organisation founded on volunteers. Without these passionate, dedicated individuals, we would be unable to achieve human rights impact across Australia and around the globe. We would cease to exist.
And you too can help us make a big impact. Whether you have a spare day a week or one day a year, you can defend human rights. Volunteer work is available Australia-wide in many areas:
- coordinating events and planning campaign work
- campaigning in the community
- participating in activist consultations
- general office administration
National – based anywhere in Australia
- Social Media Moderator: help build our presence on the social web by spending one hour each week moderating comments on our pages and monitoring our social media inboxes. Apply here for this position by 15 June 2018.
- Regional Media Support Volunteer: Assist and support the Regional Media team with research and activist outreach.
- ACT Activism Team Member: join a group of volunteers who are happy to be contacted to support Amnesty at different times over the year to volunteer at events, stalls or in the office.
- Schools Network Volunteer: Passionate about inspiring young people to defend human rights? Join our Schools Network team today!
- Volunteer Writer: Put your pen to paper for a good cause with AM-UNITY magazine.
- AM-UNITY Website Coordinator: Are you a tech genius or looking to improve your skills? AM-UNITY magazine wants to hear from you!
- Social Media Coordinator: Fabulous at Facebook, terrific on Twitter and inspired on Instagram? Join the AM-UNITY magazine team as a social media guru.
- Artist: Get creative with AM-UNITY!
South Australia/Northern Territory
Applications have been reopened for the following:
- Activism Support Volunteer: work with the Activism Support Coordinator to manage Amnesty International SA/NT’s regional administration, action group support and activist pathways.
- Urgent Actions Volunteer: manage network of online and offline (postal) Urgent Action letter writers and distribute weekly information sheets to network
See linked role descriptions for details of how to apply – discount closing dates, applications accepted on a rolling basis.
New South Wales
- Hands-on Help Team Volunteer: Key responsibilities include hands-on help with things such as, but not limited to, data entry, phone calling program, event support, crafting art materials for our events, photography at our events, etc. There is no ongoing commitment required. Any time that you can spend helping in the office or at events is greatly appreciated.
- National Activism Team Volunteer, this position support the National Activism Coordinators and Activism Manager in preparing and implementing mobilisation strategies for AIA’s priority campaigns including working with activists to empower them to be involved in campaign planning, monitoring and evaluation and the development of AIA’s activism strategy
- NSW Youth Network Activist, Key responsibilities include, responding to external enquires, managing the Youth Network email account, organising events, general administrative duties including maintenance of databases, spreadsheets and google sites and implementation/improvement of processes, building community partnerships with identified groups.
- Event Support Activist, Key responsibilities, responding to external enquires, including managing the NSW events email account, coordinating the NSW events process, from approval to evaluation, general administrative support including maintenance of databases, spreadsheets and google sites and implementation/improvement of processes, tracking campaign materials, stationary and other resources, maintaining the action center, Individual project work.
- Urgent Action Network Activist, Key responsibilities, Responding to enquires, including managing the NSW Urgent Action email account, coordinating the UA process, including sending out weekly emails to recipients and posting completed actions to targets, general administrative support including maintenance of databases, spreadsheets and google sites and implementation/improvement of processes, individual project work.
- Events Coordinator, Key responsibilities include but are not limited to organising, coordinating, promoting, hosting NSW Refugee Network events, Liaise with the NSW Refugee Network and the NSW Action Centre in the coordination of strategic events, Contribute to the growth of Amnesty International and the NSW Refugee Network by providing opportunities for community members to become engaged as volunteers, activists, and leaders.
- Community Organiser – Volunteer Assistant : The Community Organiser volunteer will assist the Western Australia Community Organiser (CO) build momentum and empower local communities to take action for human rights. – Applications close 9:00am 18th April.
- Schools Network Outreach Team Member: As part of the Schools Network Outreach Team you will work with schools across Perth to inform, inspire and empower action by facilitating human rights education workshops with students.
- Training and Development Officer: Are you interested in developing powerful, effective trainings for WA activists? We’re looking for a flexible office volunteer with a passion for activism, movement building and working with activists. The role will involve developing, building and running training sessions for activists in the Western Australian region.
- Amnesty Student Representative: Are you a high school student with a passion for human rights? Apply today to represent your school in Amnesty WA’s Student Leadership Team! Up to 2 students per school! Found out more here and fill in this application form!
- National Activism Team Volunteer, this position support the National Activism Coordinators and Activism Manager in preparing and implementing mobilisation strategies for AIA’s priority campaigns including working with activists to empower them to be involved in campaign planning, monitoring and evaluation and the development of AIA’s activism strategy.
Please contact your local action centre for opportunities in other regions.
Register your interest
To register your interest to become a volunteer or activist with Amnesty International Australia, fill in the volunteer form.