Amnesty International Australia is an organisation founded on volunteers. Without these passionate, dedicated individuals, we would be unable to achieve human rights impact across Australia and around the globe. We would cease to exist.
And you too can help us make a big impact. Whether you have a spare day a week or one day a year, you can defend human rights. Volunteer work is available Australia-wide in many areas:
- coordinating events and planning campaign work
- campaigning in the community
- participating in activist consultations
- general office administration
National – based anywhere in Australia
- Social Media Moderator: help build our presence on the social web by spending one hour each week moderating comments on our pages and monitoring our social media inboxes. Apply here for this position by 15 June 2018.
- Regional Media Support Volunteer: Assist and support the Regional Media team with research and activist outreach.
- ACT Activism Team Member: join a group of volunteers who are happy to be contacted to support Amnesty at different times over the year to volunteer at events, stalls or in the office.
- Schools Network Volunteer: Passionate about inspiring young people to defend human rights? Join our Schools Network team today!
- Volunteer Writer: Put your pen to paper for a good cause with AM-UNITY magazine.
- AM-UNITY Website Coordinator: Are you a tech genius or looking to improve your skills? AM-UNITY magazine wants to hear from you!
- Social Media Coordinator: Fabulous at Facebook, terrific on Twitter and inspired on Instagram? Join the AM-UNITY magazine team as a social media guru.
- Artist: Get creative with AM-UNITY!
South Australia/Northern Territory
- Hands on Help Team: if you are flexible in your availability or can’t commit to regular volunteer and so would like to help out whenever possible, this is the team for you!
- Activism Support Volunteer: work with the Activism Support Coordinator to manage Amnesty International SA/NT’s regional administration, action group support and activist pathways.
- Meaningful Movies Volunteer: organise monthly film nights on human rights and lead Meaningful Movies Club
- Community Organising Volunteer: build and support a new Amnesty Action group in the Federal Electorate of Sturt
- ARTillery SA Group Role – Event Coordinator: coordinate and hold queer-themed events
- Queer Action Group Role – Event Coordinator: coordinate and hold human rights themed art events
- Queer Action Group Role – Social Media and Graphic Design Volunteer
- ARTillery Group Role – Social Media and Graphic Design Volunteer
See linked role descriptions for details of how to apply.
Our Action Groups are always looking for new members too – get in touch with your local group here!
New South Wales
- Hands-on-Help Team Volunteer – Interested in volunteering for a few hours each week or an hour every second month? In the HOH team what you choose to put your hand up for is up to your availability and interests.
- Hands-on-Help Team Leader – The HOH Team leader position is perfect for those who are looking to develop their leadership skills. This role will see you coordinating the recruitment, mobilisation, retention and development of HOH Team members.
- Hands-on-Help Event Coordinator – We are looking on expanding the possibility of the HOH Team by having coordinated event opportunities each month, that directly relate to key moments in Amnesty’s campaigning. The role of the NSW HOH Team Event Coordinator is to help host events, such as letter writing events, petition blitzing, market stalls and so forth.
- NSW Schools Network Outreach Team Member – Experienced or interested in working with young high school students to encourage and support action around Amnesty International’s human rights work? Join us! As a team member you will be helping to run a schools conference, facilitate workshops and presentations at schools and/or design workshops and presentations.
- Newtown Group Event Coordinator – Events are a key activity through which the Newtown Local Group contributes to achieving the objectives our campaigns, by providing opportunities for the community to come together to learn, connect, share and take action.
- NSW Branch Vice President – The NSW Branch Committee is responsible for oversight of the NSW region’s activism, campaigning and general governance. And we’re seeking a Branch Vice President!
- Volunteer Management Team Member – As a Volunteer Management Team Member, your main focus is to work with your Team Leader and other team members to deliver allocated tasks, engage with new volunteers and other office volunteers, and support all initiatives developed by your team. You would be expected to work between 4 to 6 hours each week during office hours at a time that fits with your other commitments.
- Activism Support Volunteer: Work with the WA Activism Support Co-ordinator on office management, administration, activist support and recruitment.
- Media and Communications Volunteer: Work with the WA volunteer communications team to promote our human rights work across online and offline media channels
- Graphic Design Volunteer: Work with the WA volunteer communications team to design and create content for online and offline use
- Schools Network Outreach Team Member: As part of the Schools Network Outreach Team you will work with schools across Perth to inform, inspire and empower action by facilitating human rights education workshops with students.
- Amnesty Student Representative: Are you a high school student with a passion for human rights? Apply today to represent your school in Amnesty WA’s Student Leadership Team! Up to 2 students per school! Found out more here and fill in this application form!
Please contact your local action centre for opportunities in other regions.
Register your interest
To register your interest to become a volunteer or activist with Amnesty International Australia, fill in the volunteer form.