Amnesty International Maitland invites you to come along to a Write for Rights letter writing event.
Write for Rights is Amnesty International’s annual global letter writing event that creates positive change for people who have, or are experiencing, human rights abuses.
Write for Rights events will be happening across Australia during November and December 2016.
In Maitland, we will join together to write letters as a part of this global letter writing campaign.
We will be campaigning for,
- Fomusoh Ivo Feh, a student from Cameroon facing 20 years for an SMS.
- Indigenous peoples of the Peace River in Canada, struggling to save their ancestral lands.
- Ilham Tohti, a university professor in China, jailed for life for fighting discrimination.
- Shawkan, a journalist in Egypt, jailed for doing his job.
- Johan Teterissa, a teacher in Indonesia, tortured and jailed for waving a flag.
- Annie Alfred, a child from Malawi, hunted for her body parts.
- Máxima Acuña, a peasant farmer in northern Peru, attacked by police for speaking out.
- Eren Keskin, lawyer and former newspaper editor in
- Turkey, arrested over 100 times for speaking out.
- Edward Snowden, a US whistleblower whose courage changed the world.
Feel free to bring along friends to this event or let other people in the community know. We look forward to seeing you there!