Your Guide During the Pandemic
In times like these, we find out what holds us together as a community. As the Amnesty International Australia movement, we will continue to work together to help make this planet a safer, more inclusive, and more compassionate place to live.
As Australia and the rest of the world respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, we will find new and creative ways to care for ourselves, our loved ones, and our local and global communities.
If you’re ready to get started, here are some simple things you can do to spread some #ViralKindness, and make the world a little bit brighter during this difficult time:
- First of all, it’s important for you to take care of yourself. You can stay up-to-date with the latest advice from the Health Department here
- You can also check out these Beyond Blue tips for looking after your mental health during this time
- If you would like to receive support from your neighbours, check out GetUp’s Viral Kindness website see if there’s a mutual aid group near you
- Find things that make you smile. The ABC have put together this remote live entertainment guide – it has music, theatre, comedy, and more!
- Finally, let’s keep moving. Here are some lockdown fitness tips from the ABC
- Help keep your loved ones safe and connected by phoning or messaging them regularly, and give them the opportunity to ask for assistance if they need it
- You can also make video calls with message apps that you may already have, like WhatsApp or Messenger, or download a purpose-made app like Houseparty or Zoom
- If you would like to watch shows with your friends and family, you could use a synchronised streaming service like Watch2Gether
- If your friends and family need extra resources, you can also share the current advice from the Australian Government or mental health tips from Beyond Blue
- You can support people self-isolating in their homes by offering to assist them with errands. Download and print this handy card, and leave it in your neighbours’ letterboxes to let them know you’re around! (Credit: Becky Wass)
- All over the world, people continue to face persecution for standing up for human rights, including for calling for action on climate change. Check out this page to learn about these cases and take action
- While we practice physical distancing, there are a number of free online tools to help keep us in touch. Video conferencing platforms like Zoom can be used for online meetings and events, and you could even host an activist film screening through Watch2Gether!
- Do you want your activism to have greater impact? Want to know how to run a great local campaign? Our training modules will help you develop skills that will not only make you a great activist but help you in other parts of your life: skill up now
- As always, activist activities and events will continue to be updated in our Activism Planner
Thank you for everything you do to make the world a brighter place. Stay safe and stay connected to each other. Together, we can do this!