Afghan people climb atop a plane as they wait at the Kabul airport in Kabul on August 16, 2021, after a stunningly swift end to Afghanistan's 20-year war, as thousands of people mobbed the city's airport trying to flee the group's feared hardline brand of Islamist rule. (Photo by Wakil Kohsar / AFP) (Photo by WAKIL KOHSAR/AFP via Getty Images)
To look back on the year that was 2021 and celebrate the extraordinary impact we’ve had as a movement, we asked you to vote on the most memorable human rights moment captured on camera. Here’s what you said:
1. The Afghanistan crisis
2. Myanmar military coup protest
3. Black Lives Matter protest in Melbourne, Australia
4. Brittany Higgins in Canberra, Australia
5. Rubber ducks used as a symbol against corruption in Thailand
6. Peter Bol representing Australia at the Tokyo Olympics
Whether it’s signing a petition, raising awareness, or funding life-saving human rights work with a financial gift – every action you take is helping create a world where human rights are enjoyed by all.
Here’s to another incredible year of standing strong for justice, freedom and equality.